Sunday, May 18, 2008

What a wonderful world it is.

I have been thinking the past couple of days about quite a bit of things. I know it's a shocker that I actually think, but it is true!

I was at Mimi's with Georgette on Friday visiting her sister that works there. We were sitting down sharing a meal together and the thought popped into my mind that it is a tremendous blessing to live in a country where we can choose to go eat food and have it served very quickly. That we don't have to worry about going hungry and we have ample clean water to drink.

That in this country, when there is a natural disaster, the casualty rate is so low compared to other places. I look at the cyclone that hit Myanmar. The many people who didn't survive the event and all the aftermath. The earthquake in China and its aftermath.

That there is an overabundance of housing, despite the market. There are shows on TV of how people's lives are changed by a group of people that rebuild or build anew houses of people who may not have enough to do it themselves.

There is the the opportunity to go to school and become educated in whatever we want to learn. That there is SO MUCH to learn and has been revealed. Like Astronomy! There are so many cool things in space that we know about, and I can't even begin to imagine what we don't know about. I feel like a kid in a candy store almost all the time...

We can find a job with that career and for the most part, it is equal employment. That we aren't limited by censorship and propaganda.

Despite how much I may disagree with some people, I have the freedom to choose to agree or disagree and not worry about any political repercussions like jail. That we can disagree however heated it may be.

There is the freedom to move about when and where we want and not to have to account to anyone outside our sphere of responsibilities.

We have the freedom to practice our religion when where and how we may. We have an abundance of temples to go and worship in. There are a plethora of churches to go in and worship. There are people in this world that are genuinely doing good to all men.

One of the biggest things I'm grateful for though, is my wife. I am grateful for:
  1. Her way of making me laugh hysterically.
  2. For her support to me when things seem dark and dreary.
  3. For her beautiful smile that gives me so much motivation.
  4. For her support to me in going back to school, that is something I've really struggled with.
  5. For her laugh, it seems to have a way of soothing me.
  6. For waking up every morning to cook me breakfast and makes sure I have a lunch.
  7. For her kisses!
  8. For all the times she holds my hand.
  9. For all the times she goes out of her way to make sure I'm not overheating.(Dumping cold water down my back! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!)
  10. For her sensitivity and thoughtfulness that has been a great lesson to me when thinking of others.
Those are just a few things I have words to describe about my gratefulness for her.

Last but not least, I am grateful for my knowledge of the Atonement, for the testimony I have and the faith that has been built in Him who gave all He had for my eternal happiness. For a loving Father in Heaven who cared enough to institute the plan we follow now. For the priesthood and the opportunity I have to spend eternity with Georgette. I am grateful for the hope of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I feel I could go on forever in gratitude, but I wouldn't get to spend time with Georgette if I sat and wrote for years and years of the things I'm grateful for. I guess I get to live my life to express that gratitude.

1 comment:

Brandon + Kirsten said...

It really is a wonderful life, no? Just wait until you get to hold your very own mini-me for the first time! It is pretty amazing and I am so excited for you guys!

Love you!