Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh the joys of learning a language!

So.... just a forewarning for those non-math lovers out there. If you are reading this, you can consider this post ending here. The rest of this is about the wonders of math 1050 or College Algebra.

My math teacher is a really interesting cat. He has a wave for a hair do and it is always in the same spot each day. I don't think he ever washes it. He might, but he just puts on a special cap to keep it in place.

He is very good at math and really seems to have a passion about it, but I think he is truly in love with calculus. It is all he talks about. I wonder, once in a while, if he has a poster of all the calculus formula's up in his room, right next to some of the mathematicians who extended the realm of math into calculus. If he has pajamas with anything math on them. Ok... so I am a little overboard on my imagination. It really comes from the fact that I feel like I don't know what I am doing in math now. I have a hard time understanding what concepts he's trying to teach and all it seems I hear is about calculus and later on when you get into calculus...

We recently finished with quadratic formula's and the lovely and beautifully sensuous(?) quadratic formula...

ax^2+bx+c (for those of you who are wondering, ^2 is x squared or x to the power of 2)
I wanted to use Microsoft Word but it won't copy and paste like I want to...

There are other different flavors of this formula that are just too much fun for one person to handle.

a(x-h)^2+k

Quadratic

To make a long story short, I don't see an end to this use of the mathematics for quite sometime. I even had a dream about it last night. Sheesh! I guess it's a good time to eat, sleep, breathe mathematics. There are so many rules and letters and concepts in math that just learning it is a little overwhelming.

And on a side note... I found a really cool site with information on Astronomy.
Astronomy Cast. It has a podcast that I've been listening to for the past week or two at work. It is very informative and not in an overwhelming scientific jargan way.

1 comment:

Spencer and Kealia said...

math is seriously another language... for dorks!
i love math!