Friday, July 18, 2008

Traveling with infants

What an experience it is going on a small day trip with infants. Georgette, Georgenia, Donnetta (Georgette's aunt), Lynn (Donetta's husband), Katelyn (Lynn and Donetta's daughter), Ashley (Jennifer's [who is a cousin of Georgette] daughter) ((are you confused yet?)), Andrew, and I all went on a trip to San Diego on the 17th. It was a good trip but it sure was a test on patience at some points. Georgette, Donetta, Lynn, Georgenia and myself went to the temple to go through an endowment session at the temple there.

It sure was a very beautiful temple, but not quite as big as it looks in pictures. It is also easy to get lost in for your first time. There are hallways within hallways it seems. They all lead to the same place though. There is also an atrium on the outside of the celestial room that is gorgeous! It's on the roof, about the middle and has some amazing flowers. You can also see both spires from there as well.

Georgette and I were the witness couple in the session. It is a remarkable experience to go through a session as the witness couple. I have learned quite a bit in that role.

After the temple session, we went out to eat at a little Mexican restaurant off of Sea World BLVD. It was decent, but not quite what we payed for. The food was a little bland, but the portion sizes were good.

After that, we went to a small beach at the bay just north of the airport. It really wasn't all that great and we found a sign that said, please stay out of the water for 72 hours after runoff. Hmmmmmmmmmm interesting.

I am truly amazed at the number of people that can be found in one location. At that little park/walkway, there were probably several thousand people. The walkway itself was about 6 to 10 feet wide and every 30 or 40 feet or so was at least one person. Joggers were galore, and roller blading was pretty popular as well. I did feel quite claustrophobic with that many people in one area.

Housing and all the terrain was jam packed, and the roads were pretty tiny for the amount of people. I don't think I would ever like to live in California. Far too overcrowded for my blood, at least in San Diego. The drivers were quite a bit more courteous than here in Utah.

We also saw an aircraft carrier sitting in the docks, a Carnival ship sitting in the bay and quite a few other boats. There was a pretty large amount of graffiti over the buildings and signs. Some was very artistic while others were just gang tags.

Going to larger cities like this where I'm not familiar always leaves me in a bit of a panic. I think that if I take one wrong turn, I could wind up in a very dangerous neighborhood or area and with my family, that's not a cool idea. I guess I just feel stressed because I don't know the area and where I can go safely. I wish I could have the car that the president drives around in on his motorcade, or a tank. Yeah, I think a tank would do nicely!

A picture taken after takeoff from SLC.

Another picture shortly after takeoff.

Some clouds taken as we were climbing to our cruising altitude.

A cool looking cloud we saw up in the sky.

Up near the stratosphere.

Our cruising altitude on the way to San Diego.


Some desert mountains. It looks like their is sand for most of the terrain.

More sandy looking mountains in California.

Parts of the mountains near San Diego on the way back down to land.

Guess who?

Georgette and Andrew just outside the San Diego airport.

An aircraft carrier that was docked near the airport.

A steamboat that was docked near the car rental we rented from.

Andrew, who is having so much fun in his car seat as we are in route to the temple. Notice the pleading eyes he has to remove him from so much fun. He is definitely in fun overload there...

Carnival cruise liner near the airport.

The beautiful San Diego Temple. It's not nearly as large as the church pictures of it look. In no way does it deter from it's beauty.

Awwwwwwww, look at the adorable family! Too bad they don't look nearly as adorable as us!

The entrance to the temple.

A closer look at the doors.

The capstone.

A larger picture of the whole temple looking from the southeastern side. Click to enlarge.

San Diego firemen!
The temple taken on route to I5 at the on ramp.

The crew from JetBlue eating at a Mexican restaurant.

The adorable couple once again, and they have a kid with them still. I think they were following us or something...

Grandma and Andrew. Notice Andrew eying the real food for when he gets the chance to eat it.

Lynn and Donetta

Boy am I glad I'm not buying gas at that price... yet...

What up homez, are you dissin my pacifier? This is Andrew displaying his uh, happiness and joy in riding in the car seat for a while. Notice that he is definitely NOT sleepy.

Georgette at the small bay we stopped at to let the kiddies play in the water.

Georgette and I in the warmer water than is found in Oregon.

Picture of looking north across the bay.

Looking out across the bay.

The sun at the bay.

A cool tree that Georgette found. The blossoms were really gorgeous.

A close up of the blossoms.

The clouds over the ocean on takeoff from San Diego.

The sky and wing when we are going near Catalina island. The white are clouds and not water.

The sun as it's setting on the flight home. It really was an amazing golden color. Thank you different air particles and your scattering effect.

No comments: